The slideshow panel provides a little bit of entertainment to the Desktop Sidebar to give you relief from your busy day of work. You can add many different sources to show a personal collection of pictures, webcams, several different comics, and much more. The slideshow panel was build to handle dsslideshow files that can be created to download pictures from nearly any source, making the number of possibilities for the Slideshow Panel nearly endless.
In the Slideshow Panel Properties there are two tabs:
- The Slideshows that will play in the panel will be displayed in the "Display images from:" window.
- Adding a slideshow:
- Click on the Add Button and select the slideshow from the list to add. (You can specify where the images are saved by clicking the Edit Button.)
- The folder option allows you to add a slideshow made from the pictures within a specified folder. When the folder option is selected it will open a browse window to select the folder you want to add. (You can specify a different folder later by clicking the Edit Button.)
- The URL option is mainly used for webcams. This panel will download the image at the given URL replacing the image as often as it refreshes. When the URL option is selected a popup window will allow you to enter a name for the show, the URL of the webcam, and the refresh rate. (You can edit these options later by clicking the Edit Button.)
- The More slideshows option will bring you to the Desktop Sidebar Addins Website to download more Desktop Sidebar Slideshows.
- Removing a Slideshow:
- Select the slideshow that you want to remove and click the Remove Button. (Note: Press the CTRL button to select more than one Slideshow)
- You can edit the frequency at which the picture changes by sliding the "Show every picture for:" bar left or right.
- You can set a transition type with the "Transition between pictures" drop down list.
- You can change the Transition speed by sliding the "Transition speed:" bar left or right.
- The three checkboxes at the bottom allow you to display the images in random order, show toolbar which has next, previous, and refresh buttons, and/or show a progress bar which shows the slideshow image download progress.
- To have your desktop automatically change its wallpaper to the slideshow image enable Change Desktop Wallpaper and set the frequency by sliding the bar left or right.
When you right mouse click on the Slideshow panel you will get a list of commands that allow you to control the slideshows.
- Goto will take you to the source website of the slideshow.
- Open will open the current image in your default program for image files.
- Open Folder will open the folder where the image is saved.
- Set As Wallpaper will set the Desktop Wallpaper to the current image
- Refresh will check to see if there are new images to be downloaded and refresh the slideshow if needed.