The messenger panel will display all or part of the Buddy List from your Windows Messenger and/or MSN Messenger. To use the Windows Messenger with this panel you will need to download the latest version of the Windows Messenger. To use the MSN Messenger with this panel you will need the latest version of BOTH the Windows Messenger and the MSN Messenger for the Messenger Panel to work properly.
To use the MSN Messenger you NEED to set a couple of options in the Windows Messenger:
- Open the Windows Messenger.
- Click on Tools, select Options, and choose the Preferences Tab.
- Disable the "Run the Windows Messenger when Windows starts" option.
- Enable the "Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background" option.
Follow these instructions to access the Options for the Messenger Panel:
- Right mouse click on the Messenger Panel and select Panel Properties.
- The Contacts window will show the Buddy List from the Messenger that you use. The marked contacts will be displayed in the panel, those not marked will not be shown.
- Be sure that “Run the Messenger when the Messenger Panel is loaded” option is enabled.
- Enabling “Show only online contacts” will hide all contacts that are not online.
- You may select to Sort by the Contact Names or by Status.
Right mouse clicking on the Messenger Panel provides you with a menu of commands:
- Start Conversation will open a Conversation Window from your Messenger.
- Send Mail will open a New Email Window for you to compose and send a New Email.
- Show only online will toggle the Show Online Only option on and off.
- Sort by Name will sort your contacts by their Names.
- Sort by Status will sort your contacts by the Online Status putting the online contacts at the top.
- Attach/Detach will Attach or Detach the Messenger Program from the Messenger Panel. Note: If you see “Messenger is not available” in the Messenger Panel select Attach.
Follow these instructions to use the Messenger Panel without using menus:
- Hovering over a contact will open a Details Window showing the Contact Information.
- Clicking on a contact will open a new Conversation Window with that contact.