Outlook Mail Folder Panel
The Mail Folder Panel allows you to view the contents of any Email Folder you currently have in Outlook.
Follow these instructions to access the Options of the Mail Folder Panel:
- Right mouse click on the Mail Folder Panel and select Panel Properties.
- To specify the Email folder which Desktop Sidebar will access click on the “…” button.
- Select the folder you want Desktop Sidebar to access and Click OK
- Click Default to choose Outlook’s Default Inbox.
- The “Show messages received for last: XX days” setting will allow you set the maximum age of the emails displayed in the panel.
- The “Show first: XX messages” setting will allow you to set the maximum number of messages that are displayed in the panel at one time.
- Enabling the “Show only unread messages” setting will hide all read messages.
- Enabling the “Show today’s messages in a different color” will show all messages received within the past 24 hours in a different color that is defined by the Desktop Sidebar skin used.
- Enabling the “Activate panel when new mail arrives” setting will activate the panel each time Outlook receives a new email.
- Enabling the “Show alert window when new mail arrives” will display a popup alert when a new mail is received.
- Click OK to save any changes.
The “…” button will open a Browser Window.
Right mouse clicking on a message will open a menu of commands:
- Open will open the Outlook Email Message Dialog Window for you to read the email.
- New will open the Outlook New Email window for you to create a New Email and Send or Save it.
- Reply will open the Outlook Reply Email Window for you to create and send a Reply to the Sender of the selected Email.
- Reply to All will the Outlook Reply Email Window for you to create and send a Reply to all Sender and All Recipients selected Email.
- Forward will open the Outlook Forward Email Window for you to create and send a Copy of the selected message to another recipient.
- Mark as Read will mark the selected message as read, hiding it if “Show only unread messages” is enabled.
- Delete will delete the selected message from Outlook’s Mail Folder.
The following are ways to control the Mail Folder Panel without using Menus:
- Hovering over will open a Details Window showing the contents of the selected Email.
- Clicking on an Email will open the Outlook Email Message Dialog Window for you to read the email.
Note: In order for the panel to receive NEW emails Outlook will need to be open. It can display old emails that are currently in the selected folder, but to receive any NEW mail Outlook needs to be running.