Mail Checker Panel
The Mail Checker Panel in Desktop Sidebar can be used to check and read multiple POP3 email accounts. You can configure multiple accounts, develop sorting rules and create a custom spam and junk filters. You can view the entire message in your default email client or preview part of it in your sidebar.
Follow these instructions to access the Options of the Mail Checker Panel:
- Right Click on the Mail Checker panel and select Panel Properties.
- General Tab
- To set the Mail Client program click on the ".." button and browse to find the program you want to use.
- Check for new messages every XX minute(s) allows you to set how often the Mail Checker automatically checks your email.
- Enabling Display HTML mail shows the HTML content of your email.
- Enabling Download only part of message will only show the set number of lines of your email message defined by you.
- Download first XXX lines of message defines the number of lines to download.
- Enabling Allow automatic deletion of messages deletes email messages from their server once you have downloaded them to the mail checker.
- The Show Deleted Log button displays a list of email messages that have been deleted.
- The Clear Deleted Log empties the deleted email log.
- Show first: XX messages allows you to define the number of messages to display.
- Enabling Show read messages will display both read and unread email messages.
- Accounts Tab
- The Accounts: window will hold a list of all the existing email accounts for the Mail Checker Panel.
- To Add a new email account click on the Add button.
- Enter a name you wish to use to identify the account in the Account name field
- Enter the POP3 server name of your email service provider.
- Enter your email Server port number.
- The Default port button will reset the Sever Port number to 110.
- The Check Account button will test the information you entered and verify that it is valid.
If valid, you should get a message saying Server Response +OK YourAccount has XX visible messages (YY hidden) in ZZZZZZZ octets. If you get an error message, review your information and try again.
- Enter the User name and Password for your email account to their respective sections.
- You can select the maximum time the mail checker spends downloading messages from the POP3 server by sliding the Server timeout slider button.
- To Edit an existing account highlight the account in the Accounts list and click the Edit button.
- The edit button will open the Account properties window for you to edit the account information.
- To Remove an existing account highlight the account in the Accounts list and click the Remove button.
- Rules Tab
- The Rules: window will display a list of existing rules. Marked rules indicate an active rule.
- To Add a new rule follow these instructions: Rules are generally used to mark messages as Bulk, Junk, or Big; display alert; or launch an application.
- There are four (4) default rules, which you can edit or delete if you don't want to use them. If you want to add them, they can be added directly from the Add button menu.
- To define you own rule select Add new rule... from the Add button drop down list.
- Select the Conditions for your new rule.
- Select the Actions to be taken if the Conditions are met.
- If a word is underlined in the Rule Description there are other settings that can be defined. Click on the underlined word(s) to define these extra parameters.
- Enter a Descriptive name for the new rule that will be listed in the Rules window.
- To Edit an existing rule highlight it and click the Edit button.
- To Remove an existing rule highlight it and click the Remove button.
- Junk Email Tab
- Enabling the Bad Words filter will mark messages with more than the user defined number of bad words as Junk Mail. You can create your own bad word list by clicking the Edit Button in the Bad Words section.
- You can create a list of email addresses or domains that will be considered Junk Mail by clicking the Edit button in the Junk Senders section. These addresses will be marked as Junk Mail.
- You can create a list of Trusted Senders by clicking the Edit button in the Trusted Senders section. These addresses will NOT be marked as Junk Mail.
- Enabling the My Addresses filter will mark messages not addressed directly to you as Junk Mail. You can create a list of your email addresses by clicking on the Edit button in the My Addresses section.
- You can create a list of Bulk Sender's Email Addresses by clicking the Edit button in Bulk Senders section. These addresses will be marked as Junk Mail.
- The next option only applies if Download only part of message is enabled.
Mail Checker Panel Toolbar:
- The Email Client button will launch your email client.
- The Check for Messages button will check for new email messages.
- The Mark All as Read button will Mark all email messages as Read.
- The All button will display All email messages.
- The Inbox button will only display your current Inbox.
- The Bulk button will only display the email messages marked as Bulk.
- The Junk button will only display the email messages marked as Junk.
- The Big button will only display the email messages marked as Big.
Right mouse clicking on the panel will display a list of commands:
- Check for Messages will check for new email messages.
- Email Client will launch your email client.
- New will open a New Email window from your email client.
- Delete All will permanently Delete All emails.
- Mark All as Read will Mark all email messages as Read.
- All will display All email messages.
- Inbox will only display your current Inbox.
- Bulk will only display the email messages marked as Bulk.
- Junk will only display the email messages marked as Junk.
- Big will only display the email messages marked as Big.
To control the Panel without Menus:
- Hovering on a message will display a message preview.
- Clicking on a message will open it in launch the email client you defined.